“80% of learning is visual. Even the smartest students will struggle in the classroom if they have trouble seeing”
Your child’s eyes are rapidly developing in the early years of life so an eye test for children is important to check they are hitting all the vision milestones. From seeing just shapes and large objects up close during infancy to improving visual acuity and hand-eye coordination by 12 months of age. Most kids have an eye test as part of their routine development check-ups with their maternal and child health nurse, paediatrician or family doctor. This kids vision screening is important to alert parents of a possible eye problem like poor distance vision or eye turn but should not take the place of a comprehensive eye test for children.
We recommended having your child’s first detailed eye test with a paediatric optometrist at age 3 and again before starting primary school, this ensures that any eye problems they may have been detected and treated early giving them the best chance at the clear and comfortable vision for life. We can assess and treat vision problems in children. With regular eye exams, you can help your child achieve the best possible vision. Book a kids eye test with our optometrist today.
Binocular vision disorders
1. Consistently sitting too close to the TV or holding a book too close
2. Complaining of headaches or tired eyes
3. Losing their place while reading or using the finger to guide their eyes when reading
4. Squinting or tilting the head to see better
5. Frequent eye rubbing
6. Sensitivity to light and/or excessive tearing
7. Closing one eye to read, watch TV or see better
8. Losing focus or falling behind in school.
9. One or both eyes are turning in or out.
10. The pupil is white or grey instead of black (this one requires urgent medical attention).
Book an appointment
Eye tests are bulk billed. That means no out of pocket costs for you with a valid Medicare card. All tests include FREE digital retinal imaging valued at $60. You can even claim your health insurance rebate on the spot.